1. Never tire of teaching. A good instructor can teach anywhere, any time, and always be ready to answer questions.
2. An instructor should be eager for his students to surpass him; it is the ultimate complement for an instructor. A student should never be held back. If the instructor realizes his student has developed beyond his teaching capabilities, the student should be sent to a higher ranking instructor.
3. An instructor must always set a good example for his students and never attempt to defraud them.
4. The development of students should take precedence over commercialism. Once an instructor becomes concerned with materialism, he will lose the respect of his students.
5. Instructors should teach scientifically and theoretically to save time and energy.
6. Instructors should help students develop good contacts outside the dojang (training hall). It is an instructor’s responsibility to develop students outside as well as inside the dojang.
7. Students should be encouraged to visit other dojangs and study other techniques. Students who are forbidden to visit other dojangs are likely to become rebellious. There are two advantages for allowing the students to visit other gyms: not only is there the possibility that a student may observe a technique that is ideally suited for him, but he may also have a chance to learn by comparing his techniques to inferior techniques.
8. All students should be treated equally, there should be no favorites. Students should always be scolded in private, never in front of the class.
9. If the instructor is not able to answer a student’s question, he should not fabricate an answer but admit he does not know and attempt to find the answer as soon as possible. All too often, a lower degree black belt will dispense illogical answers to his students merely because he is afraid of “losing face” because he does not know the answer.
10. An instructor should not seek any favors such as cleaning the studio, doing repair works, etc. from his students.
11. An instructor should not exploit his students. The only purpose of an instructor is to produce both technically and mentally excellent students.
12. Always be honest with the students, and never break a trust.